PDA

View Full Version : Clinical Trials for Herceptin/Non-Metastatic Breast Cancer

Vicki Zimmerman
04-29-2004, 02:35 AM
Hi Everyone

I'm new to the message board and am interested in clinical trials for node-negative women who are her2-new positive. I am currently completing my fifth session of chemo (FAC) out of six and would like to begin taking Taxol and Herceptin. I live in Southern Calif. and know of one physician who recommended it however I opted to stay with the hospital where my surgery was done (UCIMC)and they stuck with a conservative protocol. Any comments about where I can hook up with a trial that meets my requirements? Thanks. Vicki

Judy Silliman
05-10-2004, 02:54 PM
I was dx. 1/18/02 and follwing a MRM of my right breast entered the BCRIG 006 Clinical trial. My chemotherapy was carboplatin and taxotere with weekly infusions of Herceptin and every 3 weeks for the chemo. Once chemo was completed I then received triple dose of Herceptin every three weeks for the remaining eight months completeing treatmentin May 2003. I have been NED. Every aspect of my tumor was poor Grade 3 ER/PR neg her2 +++. I am doing quite well. All my hair has grown back I'm feeling good. I also received radiation. I actually had 6 tumors identified in one breast with DCIS as well. The prognosis was grim even with 1 lymph node involved. But hey the disease has no rules. I'm doing great and you will too. Keep the faith.

Vicki Z
05-25-2004, 08:27 AM
Hi Judy

Thanks for your comments. I'm new to this and was wondering what MRM is? Mastectomy of the Right breast?

I posted the following (see below) and have decided to go ahead with the new chemo cocktail because while I am node negative I feel taking herceptin at this earlier stage is important. my tumor markers are very similar to yours and I'm amazed at how aggressive her2 can be. I know some women who were node neg. decided to not take herceptin and are doing quite well but I don't want to revisit this again.

Wishing you the very best

Vicki

My note from Monday -- I just received a call from my medical oncologist and your quick response is appreciated. I'm due for my sixth chemo this week (May 27 '04)of FAC (have been going every 3 weeks). I've asked my doctor several times about my node negative T1N0 status and my high 8/9 Bloom-Richardson score and 3+ her2-neu status and the merits of taking Herceptin at this early stage.

She just called today and said that if I would like to switch my sixth chemo to Carbo-taxol (4 cycles) every three weeks and then have Herceptin on the fourth week for 12 weeks I can do do this.

I am in a quandary " because I have been a ""curious cat"" about this and now that Herceptin is being offered to me" I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing or rushing this a bit. I was so ready to start growing my hair back and getting back to work next week. Please let me know your thoughts especially those of you who may have a similar status (I was diagnosed in Dec. 2003 with Paget's Disease DCIS and infiltrating ductal carcinoma and three negative nodes from Sentinel node; had surgery Jan. 8 2004 skin-sparing mastectomy of right breast and immediate reconstruction). Thanks for everything. I appreciate your input in helping me decide before this Thursday.

Vicki in Calif.

P.S. She said ASCO is reporting on this at their next New Orleans conference.

LILI GETTIG
07-30-2004, 06:52 AM
MY TYPE BREAST CANCER WAS INVASIVE DUCTAL. MY TUMOR WAS 5 OR 6 CM. THEY REMOVED 9 LYMPH NODES ONE WAS POSITUVE. I WAS ALSO ESROGEN POITIVE AND HER-2POSITIVE. HAD 2 LUMPECTOMY'S 8 CHEMO TREATMENTS NOW AM ON 7 WEEKS OF RADIATION. MY DR. DOESN'T WANT TO PUT ME ON HERCEPTINE...I BELIEVE I WILL BE ON TAXOTERE WHEN THE RADIATION IS DONE. WHAT CAN I SAY OR DO TO CHANGE THE DRS. MIND?