PDA

View Full Version : trouble swallowing food

Kathie in NJ
12-28-2003, 10:29 AM
Has anyone had this problem. I started this a month ago and it is getting on my last nerve. I will put food in my mouth and start to swallow and it feels like it gets stuck. I will then start hiccuping and drink some water, but that also feels like it won't go down. It either finally dislodges (painfully) or here of late I suddenly have to vomit. Last night and tonite during dinner , with company I might add, I had to run to the bathroom after the very first bite. Saw DR last week and he suggested that it is from steroids and gave me Diflucan and swish and swallow for thrush. It didn't help and besides I haven't been on Chemo since June or July. I do however have to take steroid every time I'm scanned. Any suggestions out there

Kathie

Lolly
12-28-2003, 02:10 PM
Kathy,
It sounds like GERD, which isn't always accompanied by burning and acid stomach. I have it and take an acid blocker. I DO have the burning and acid feeling, but the doctor asked me if I've ever had trouble swallowing food or felt like my throat was constricted. I haven't but my sister who also has GERD had that symptom and one time ended up in the emergency room because she couldn't swallow after a meal and felt she was choking. I'd sure ask about it, and look it up on GOOGLE, you'll find a lot of info there.
Hugs,
Lolly

Lyn
12-29-2003, 05:42 AM
Hi there, have you had any radiation to the neck area? I have the same problem but I also have dry eyes which indicates that the saliva glands are damaged. No real cure, eyedrops, artifical saliva drops which I haven't tried because I heard they are disgusting. I just have to sip a drink while I am eating or if I don't it is like swallowing cardboard. I also have an overlapping connective tissue disorder which has made it all worse, and an enlarged thyroid which constricts my throat as well, we have all the pleasure when we have BC.

Hugs Lyn

Linda in Calif.
12-29-2003, 04:48 PM
Lolly, What is GERD? Linda