PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin question

susan
01-05-2004, 08:38 AM
I've been reading the statistics about Herceptin and survival rates, etc. My question is that Herceptin increases average survival time to 25.4 months. What is the starting time; upon diagnosis of recurrence, upon starting Herceptin, finishing it?

Yes, I know these are only statistics. Depending on what the start point is, I am well past the average and am very hopeful!

Dolores
01-05-2004, 10:27 AM
Hi Susan--

I also am past the 25 month survival stats.

I was dx in May 2001 but had no mets to bone or organs.

Did you have mets.

I had 4 rounds of adriamyacin with cytoxin every 3 weeks and then I had 4 rounds of taxol, also every 3 weeks, and the last taxol was given with herceptin. I had 30 doses of radiation the whole time I was taken herceptin. I took herceptin once a week for a year and then once every 3 weeks for 9 months.

How about you?

Hugs

eleanor
01-05-2004, 10:33 PM
I'm not sure about this, but it would seem to me that the 2.5 yrs is an average of all women which means some may be 3 mos and some may be 5 yrs and then they just add and divide the numbers to come up with the 2.5. What should be looked at is your individual response rate. As long as the disease is responding to treatment and is not progressing, it would seem like you could go on for years as you would any other chronic illness such as diabetes. Because all of these drugs are so new, there just is not enough data to support survival rates. It will probably be years before we have that info - and YES we will all be here to read about it!!!!!!
el

jessica
01-05-2004, 10:47 PM
I try and stay away from statistics too, but science has to rely on something, right? I don't remember where I read this (susan love's breast book?)but I believe it said that once dx'd Stage IV, the average survival is 2.5-3 years. I'm assuming the stats your quoting mean that survival is increased 25 months beyond that? I don't know...all I do know is this disease doesn't follow any rules.
I just keep the faith, pray and remain incredibly grateful that I'm NED and keep quiet confidence that science will continue to work fervently to find a cure for us or at least a chronic treatment.
Keep the faith & take good care!
Jessica