PDA

View Full Version : scared - chemo again - navelbine

Pam
01-12-2004, 06:28 AM
Hi - I have bone mets. I just came from the doctor. My fears were confirmed. My CA2729 tumor marker is again on the rise, 55, and recent PET scan shows more tumor activity, so the faslodex I was on isn't working. Was on taxotere & herceptin for 6 months last year followed by faslodex. I started navelbine along with herceptin today. I'll have it weekly. I hope I can stay strong, that the side effects won't be as bad as the last chemo, and that it will kill these damn cancer cells. Those of you who've dealt with navelbine, please let me know your experience: side effects? how long have you been on it? is it working? Thank you. Pam

Steph N.
01-12-2004, 06:52 AM
Those of you who've dealt with navelbine, please let me know your experience: side effects? how long have you been on it? is it working?

Navelbene IS a GOOD anti-cancer drug! I am living proof it works. I also know others here in Seattle area with 2 and 3 time mets who have good results from navelbene.
I had major liver mets just 2 years ago. Prognosis not good at all. Went on a clinical trial with navelbene and taxol, with herceptin added for my her-2 plus 3 status. Results were remarkable after just 4 treatments. I stayed on this protocol weekly for almost 7 months and had a COMPLETE RESPONSE. Off chemo now for 18 months. Maintain with herceptin (my good old "vitamin H") and Zometa.
Keep the faith. Modify your intake of antioxidants while on chemo so the drugs can do their work. Stay away from foods with added hormones that may stimulate tumors. Drink some detox teas every day.
Main lingering side effect is some neuropathy in my hands, but L-glutamine helped that. I had NO nausea. Had N. with taxol so lost hair again, had mouth sores - the usual.

eric
01-12-2004, 07:58 AM
what types of foods have added hormones?

Lolly
01-12-2004, 08:52 AM
Hi Pam,
I was on Navelbine/Herceptin weekly for 6 months, for recurrence to supraclavicular lymphs and skin. The first treatment of the combo was a little rough; fever, major aches and pains, but not as bad as the flu I had this winter! Successive treatments were easier. Throughout I had very acid stomach which I controlled with Pepcid, my hair thinned a bit, and I had anemia and tiredness due to low blood counts. I think you'll handle the side effects fine, and I hope and pray it does the job for you. Keep us posted.
Hugs,
Lolly

Lolly
01-12-2004, 08:55 AM
Hi Eric,
I know BGH(bovine growth hormone) is given to cows to increase milk production, so maybe that's considered an added hormone since it shows up in milk? We buy BGH free milk.
Lolly

jessica
01-12-2004, 10:20 PM
Pam-
Just wanted to send my support,comfort and prayers - whatever I can do to help you get through this part of the journey.
I was on Navelbine for only 8 weeks early in my treatment.My rbc's took a big hit, but I did Pocrit shots weekly.It made a huge difference in keeping my energy UP.If I felt physically well and strong, it helped me psychologically.
In the meantime, please know how much support you'll find here.
Keep the faith & take good care of you,
Jessica

Jodie
01-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Hi, I'm currently on Navelbine with Herceptin. I have it weekly. The first 2 lots I suffered from pain in jaw and tops of arms but since I've started converting to the Gerson Therapy diet I've had no side effects (although my back is aching today but I'm ignoring that cos I don't want to know what it could mean). The week after I started on this Gerson Therapy and starting IP-6 my LFT's came back really good; I feel really well in myself; no sickness; no bad night sleeps. My WBC is down to 1.5 so I'm feeling a little lightheadiness when I bend down but other than that I feel ok. My Onc said Navelbine was a good chemo for side effects. Hope he is right.
Love Jodie x

ELEANOR
01-13-2004, 01:09 AM
I was on it briefly with little side effects. From what I've read it's a good drug, lots of good responses from it.
I'll be praying for you.
el

pam
01-13-2004, 03:20 AM
Thank you all for your responses. I've been crying all night & day, it's so hard to face this chemo again - & this continuing relentless disease. Your words of support sure help. So far, 24 hrs out from my 1st treatment, I'm feeling okay, slight ache in my back & hip area, but no nausea or anything else yet.

Question for Jody from her post: what is this? I don't know about it.....Gerson Therapy and starting IP-6 my LFT's came back really good?

Question for Steph from her post: what do you mean modify antioxidants so chemo can do it's work? should I eat more or less of these foods?

pam
01-14-2004, 01:27 AM
Thank you, Steph. That's helpful info. I do take multivitamins and my doc has said that it's not necessary to take more, but I didn't realize it could diminish the effect of chemo, so I'm glad to know that. Thanks also for sharing your encouraging news about results with navelbine. I'm in such a bad place right now emotionally, feeling desparate & trying to find hope.

Steph N.
01-14-2004, 05:29 AM
Question for Steph from her post: what do you mean modify antioxidants so chemo can do it's work? should I eat more or less of these foods?

I will try to be more clear. Most of us cancer types like to take extra antioxidants as a deterrant to our disease. Many people take extra vitamins A, C, E and the like. It is my understanding that these supplements will iterfere with the work of the chemo drugs if taken in doses higher than what we would get in a standard multivitamin. Eating foods rich in these vitamins is good, but not taking extra in pill form.
Anyway, that was the advice of my medical oncologist when going back on chemo for my liver mets. I heeded his advice and the treatment worked fine. After getting off chemo he said I could take what I pleased if it made me feel better (mentally having some possible control over the disease).
I hope this answers your question. Maybe others have some input on this question??