PDA

View Full Version : Undecided - having chemo first now

Beth
01-16-2004, 11:33 PM
Hi Donna,

My surgery was originally scheduled for 12/26/03. At the second opinion clinic I meet w/a team of 6 doctors. A surgeon other than mine recommended chemo before surgery because "some women feel better watching the tumor shrink". I just wanted it OUT! Then my surgeon canx my surgery on 12/24 after a CAT scan showed mets to the liver. He then recommended chemo first for max control then will check back in 3 months. I have had 3 weekly treatments of Taxol/Herceptin and am glad my surgon recommended it. The tumor has shrunk considerably(from 5 cmm). I am cautiously optomistic...my Onc said I might not need surgery if it shrinks to nothing, but that I would stay on weekly Herceptin for control. I feel good my liver mets is getting addressed instead of waiting another 4 weeks after surgery what with that being a major organ. It's your choice but I would recommend if you have any mets to lungs or liver to do the chemo first to get that under control. I'd like to hear more of your story. Let us know what you decide and keep the faith!

Hugs,

Beth