PDA

View Full Version : not a silly question

Lolly
01-16-2004, 05:43 AM
I'm with El, I generally eat what I want within reason, as long as I also eat things that I know are good for me. I love ice cream!
Lolly

Kitty
01-17-2004, 12:26 AM
Kelly,

If it were only that simple...it is very normal reaction to want to do everything in our power to help keep the cancer away. You will find there are all sorts of potions, pills, diets - you name it all claiming to cure cancer. First of all there is a great website to look at when you are tempted to follow the latest fad is is quackwatch.org and it blows the whistle on all the unsubstantiated and dangerous claims. I am 51 and find that eating a variety of foods (including goodies with sweets) is the best way to keep your immune system in good shape. If your mom can walk or do some sort of mild exercise it will make a huge difference - sometimes I just walk around inside the house if it is too bad outside. I find drinking lemonade after chemo tastes really good to me. I also drink bottled water but stay away from those that have minerals added because it tastes dreadful. I drink lots of teas and coffee. The important thing while your mom is on chemo is to make sure she does not take mega-vitamins or certain supplements that may interfere with her treatment - the jury is still out whether that helps or hinders the treatment. She should check with her oncologist before taking anything. Hope this helps.
Kitty