PDA

View Full Version : Newly Diagnosed - Confused.

Marianne
01-15-2004, 09:51 AM
I was diagnosed in Nov.; lumpectomy Dec. 3: 1 c.m., ER+, Her2+ and high grade. I have had two meetings with an oncologist who advises radiation and tamoxifin or arimidex, but not chemo. However, I have gotten mixed messages from other doctors and am very confused. I dread chemo, but instead of an 86% chance of no recurrence, would have about a 90% chance of no recurrence--according to the oncologist. I am seeking a second opinion--can't see second onc. until 1/27. I would like to talk with other women who have had to make similar decisions, but, as mentioned above, I must have goofed when I posted.

Thank you for this website! I went to a cancer support group (very nice and positive women!) of about 12 and only one woman had even heard of her2neu. I am still confused about how "bad" it really is--especially when combined with "high grade."

Thanks again,
Marianne
San Francisco

jessica
01-15-2004, 09:58 PM
Marianne-
You'll find a tremendous amount of information & support from the women here!My first question is, did your surgeon do a sentinel node dissection to check the lymph nodes (in your arm pit)for evidence of spread? If the nodes are positive, that is an indicator that cancer cells may have escaped and could be roaming around systemically.
If so, then chemo is indicated.(Ultimately, it's YOUR CHOICE how aggressive you want to be)2nd question, are you Her2+?
The best advice I can give is get educated!!!Do your research, read Dr. Susan Love's book "The Breast Book", check out the website(susanlovemd.org), and arm yourself with lots of information so that when you do go in to consult w/other docs you can make informed choices about your options.
It is a lot of work...and it doesn't seem fair to have to do all of this during such a scary, overwhelming time.So please look to us here for information & let us help you with the burden if we can.
Keep us posted, keep the faith and take care of you,
Jessica
ps-are far as statistics...use them to guide you, but don't worry too much about them.there are many of us that continue to thrive inspite of poor statistical prognosis!

Marianne
01-19-2004, 08:19 AM
Hi Jessica:

Yes, my sentinel node biopsy was negative. Am her2neu+. It is the same thing as HER2+ I believe. I am ER+ and high grade.

I am reading Dr. Love's book--by subjects in index and it has been very helpful. I am doing as much research as possible. Thank you for you response and your encouraging words.
Best wishes.

Marianne