PDA

View Full Version : curious about other\'s alcohol use on chemo

pam
01-19-2004, 07:35 AM
I'm not a big drinker, but do enjoy an occasion beer or wine when I go out for dinner. Also I sometimes enjoy a glass of sherry in the evening. When I was on taxotere, nothing tasted good, so wasn't even tempted to want any "spirits", but now have just started navelbine, & so far taste isn't a problem. My onc. is pretty non-specific about this subject, diet, supplements, etc. - anything that's "not scientifically proven". What's your experience? Okay to inbibe within reason? any harm done? Thanks for your thoughts.

JaneP
01-19-2004, 08:58 AM
I used to`drink moree than necessary! No, I didn't drink to excess at any one time, but most days I had a glass of wine or two before bed.

When I was diagnosed, it was Stage 4 with possible liver involvement and I quit drinking immediately. In the last six months I have had an occassional drink (3 or4 total) with the onc's okay. I am on Navelbine too.

Jane

Lolly
01-19-2004, 11:38 AM
I also used to have a glass or two of wine each evening BC(before cancer), but quit when I started treatment as my onc said there's evidence that alcohol use can lower your immune response somewhat, which wouldn't necessarily be a problem for a healthy person but since chemo also lowers one's immune response I didn't want to take the chance. Lately I have a glass socially or on special occasions; I'm on Herceptin only now.
Hugs,
Lolly

jessica
01-19-2004, 11:03 PM
I've just begun to enjoy a glass of wine in the evening again...boy did I miss it.I was dx'd Stage IV w/liver mets, & just didn't feel comfortable about making my poor liver work so hard...mets, chemo & alcohol.Since NED, I do have an occassional glass, & now my tolerance is so low, I'm limited to a single glass.
On the brighter side, red wine contains resveratrol (a compound in red grapes).I've been taking resveratrol as part of my alternative therapies throughout my tx & continue to take it daily.That info makes me feel a little less guilty about indulging.
Ultimately, we have to continue to enjoy our lives while we fight, right?
Take good care!