PDA

View Full Version : sun exposure

faith
01-20-2004, 02:56 AM
My mother has bc and is taking chemo. We always take a family vacation to the beach every summer. How much sun exposure is too much for someone on chemo?

Lisa
01-20-2004, 04:17 AM
Faith,
First of all, I love the fact that you're already looking forward to the summer. Your name fits! I would recommend your mother talking to her oncologist about sun exposure. Different chemos have different side effect.

Best of luck to your mom. Lucky her for having you!

Love and light,

Lisa

SusanH
01-20-2004, 06:38 AM
Hi Faith! I am a HUGE beach fan; can't get enough surf and sun. BUT, when I was getting the weekly taxol/herceptin the summer before last, I got fried. My scalp was so burned where my hair had thinned that I couldn't even brush it. My feet were too burned for shoes. I got red very easily then developed a rash all over. This was with an SPF30 sunscreen! I must say, though, I didn't miss any beach time! I wore a hat, sunglasses, beach cover-up, wrapped a towel around my legs, buried my feet in the sand, moved up to an SPF45, and sat under an umbrella. It takes more than a little sun and chemo to ruin MY vacation! Hope this helps!

smith
01-20-2004, 09:17 AM
I'm not sure about other chemos, but I know Taxol and Taxotere don't mix with sun. I was told that I would burn easier. This was the reason I was given for not doing radiation while on taxotere too. Talk to your onc. As always better safe than sorry.

jojo
01-20-2004, 07:45 PM
Took chemo during summer.

Nurse was very adamant that I wear long-sleeved tops, use lots of sunblock, and try to avoid the sun as much as possible - due to lower cell counts, including in skin layers!

Oh, wear hats, too.