PDA

View Full Version : Whether to take FISH test

jojo
01-14-2004, 12:33 PM
If your her2 was level 3, no need to take FISH test. Studies show that once level 3, always guaranteed to pass FISH test. So, good idea to take FISH, if level 1 or 2.

By the way, I wonder if there IS level 5? I've never come across 4 or 5...

Marie
01-14-2004, 08:45 PM
JoJo,

I read this board often but rarely post on it.Felt I had to tell you this as it is important.Like you I was diagnosed as Her2 3+ with an IHC Test and was accepted for the Hera Trial.

Last week I had to see the onc for further tests including a Muga test to confirm I was eligible for the trial.Much to my surprise and the onc it turned out I did not qualify as my tumor sample which was sent to Germany for a FISH test came back as negative.At the time I shocked I didn't ask many questions but since then I have phoned the onc and he has comfirmed that I am definately HER2 negative. Sometimes an IHC test can give false postives.He sais he has only seen it happen once before when a reading was initially 3+.

I still have doubts about this as I have lived for the past six months adjusting to being Her2 and feel I will always wonder if this is correct,despite my onc stating he has every confidence it is.

I know there is not a Hera trial in the USA although there are similiar trials but one of the conditions of participating in it within Europe (I live in Ireland)is to have a FISH test done at the Roche Labs in Germany.

Hope this helps,

God Bless Marie

Jeanene Rishavy
01-21-2004, 12:49 PM
I am Her2 3+ also but ALL the rest of my tumor is non aggressive - tubular, well differentiated. Therefore after reading from Susan Love's book I feel sure that my test was not accurate. I would like a FISH test but it has been a year so probably they will not do it OR my insurance will not pay for it.