PDA

View Full Version : Her2+3 no lymph nodes

Angela
01-18-2004, 03:12 AM
I have stage 2a breast cancer. 3 tumors in the left breast. All 3 were Her2+3. One was ER+1, another was ER marginally positive and the 3rd was ER neg. All were PR neg. Lymph nodes neg. I went through 4 cycles of chemo after a mastectomy. Now my dr wants me to take Femara. When I asked why he said because of the her2 positive. It makes the cancer more aggressive. I was told they got all the cancer, it wasn't in my lymph nodes and my chances were 80% in 10 years. Yet everything I read about Her2 says that it is more likly to come back and may not respond to chemo. I'd love to hear from others that are Her2 positive without lymphnode involvement.

Lisa
01-18-2004, 08:26 AM
Angela,
Like many women, I was diax with BC in late 1999, 21 neg. lymph nodes, went through chemo and mastectomy, and was also HER2+++. This very aggressive factor resulted in a recurrence for me this fall of mets to liver and bones. At that time Herceptin was not given to women with no signs of metastasis. Now, however, there are trials underway with Herceptin (which targets Her2) given to women without mets. Although I don't know the specifics, I know if I were in your shoes, I would find out if I am eligible. I'm sorry, but I can't address your Femara question.

Be aggressive and sure in your treatment.

Love and light,

Lisa

Lisa
01-18-2004, 08:39 AM
Angela,

I forgot to mention that I also take Zometa monthly for the bone mets. Please ask your onc. about this.

Love and light,

Lisa

Vi
01-18-2004, 11:42 AM
I don't want to seem negative, but they really can't say they got all the cancer; Like you, I was diagnosed almost exactly as you were in April of 2003; I had a mastectomy and chemo, and now I'm taking Tamoxifen...I'm 2A, but I know that many of the members of this board started out at earlier stages. I have no lymph involvement (21), but I ask myself where the cancer might have gone. As much as I hate the HER2 status, it seems from everything I've read Her2s are better off than those who are not. I have hope for me and everyone on this board. I don't know what I would have done without this board in the last 9 months. Good luck, and we're all here for you!

Sheila
01-18-2004, 11:58 AM
I was diagnosed in Feb 2002 with invasive ductal, found on a routine mammogram (which I have every 6 mo. due to Mother with BC.) My tumor was very small, 0.7 cm, all 14 nodes were negative. I had a left mastectomy. My Her2 was 3+ and I was ER PR Neg. No treatment was recommended. In Sept of 2003, while undergoing reconstruction of the left breast, I noticed a lump above my collar bone. The biopsy revealed malignancy in the lymph nodes, same type as the breast cancer, and also Her2 positive. Scans revealed 2 more suspicious lymph nodes in my armpit. I started Herceptin every 3 weeks end of Oct. So far so good. My advice would be to try to get into a trial where you can recieve Herceptin now. Her2 positive tumors are more aggressive and more likely to cause a reoccurrance. I wish I had been given the Herceptin at the beginning, but at that time the only people elegible were people with positive nodes, and I had none. If you cant get the Herceptin dont panic, just be cautious and check yourself frequently. Not everyone has a reoccurance, it seems to occur randomly. Good Luck, and think positive!

Lisa
01-18-2004, 01:24 PM
Angela,

I forgot to mention that I also take Zometa monthly for the bone mets. Please ask your onc. about this.

Love and light,

Lisa

Ron, Cyndi\'s Husband
01-22-2004, 03:19 AM
Angela,
Cyndi was dx. May 1999. Extremely early even before mammography indicated anything positive. Had lumpectomy only, w/clear margins and no lymph involvement. HER2 so 4 A/C and 30 radiations. She kept all Radiation Oncologist and Medical Oncologist appointments as well as all other procedures requested by the Docs.

Everything was "Just Fine" until a routine chest X-ray prior to an unrelated surgury last July. Then an astute radiologist found some unexplained spots on the film and requested a scan. The rest is history, Lung Mets with dozens of nodules.

I fear that Cyndi's story is too common. She went from barely stage I to Stage IV with no signs of disease progression. I cannot help but blame myself for not being more aggressive in my search for knowledge concerning HER2. The Docs told us that HER2 was more aggressive, but they were convinced and convinced us that the cancer was in her past and that probability of recurrence was low. The facts were available, I just failed to research enough to find that the probability of recurrence is high without intervention. If I had known then what we have found in the past few months, we could have been searching for trials for preventative medications. We had not even heard of Herceptin or the vaccines or any of the other preventative trials going on at that time.

I know the Onc. gets tired of my questions about treatments, trials, and such but oh-well... Like one of the ladies on this board said "He doesn't have cancer, I do." The Docs are observers / ordinance suppliers you ladies (and a few men)are the combatants!

Sorry, I have been rattling-on here but what I really want to say is: Do your research and this board / website is a super-great place to begin. Do not take a simple "No, you do not qualify" or "You don't need that" from your doc. as an answer. You may qualify for some trial or new treatment that he / she may not be aware of. Know what to look for and be willing to question / challenge your treatment options it is YOU and YOUR BODY that you are talking about!

Be A Proactive Survivor,
ron