PDA

View Full Version : nail problems -- taxol

jojo
01-20-2004, 07:39 PM
I had been on weekly taxol/herceptin last summer. Slightly discolored nails yes, but not swollen. I believe that there is medication for managing neuropathy. My nurse had kept asking me every time I went in for the weekly infusion. Pls bring this to the attention of your physician.

This is temporary.... a few weeks after I'd finished the last infusion of Taxol, the discoloration went away.

Good luck! Hugs

Staci
01-21-2004, 01:02 AM
I just finished four rounds of Taxol in Dec. My toenails (big toe) are purple and I am losing one of my thumbnails. I figure if this stuff can knock out a nail, it'll being knocking off cancer!

Ron, Cyndi\'s Husband
01-21-2004, 08:39 AM
My wife has been having similar problems, but she was on Taxotere and Herceptin. She is in the process of losing all ten fingernails but toes are not affected. The onc. changed her chemo to Taxol alone and removed her from Herceptin at least temporarily. Her mets is to the lungs and she was having fluid build up around them.

The good news is that there are some new chems (like Abraxane)being submitted to FDA that may eliminate at least some of these side effects.
We are really excited about some of the new treatments we have learned of through this board. Cyndi's onc. is not too high about the new vaccines but I think they are at least a starting point and may help our daughters if not Cyndi.
I think Joe and Christine are simply God sent messengers for ladies with this disease. Thank you both for your efforts.

God Bless ALL you ladies who are in the battle trenches with this disease. I read you post often, I too laugh and cry with you all as you post your "mountain top" and "bottom of the ocean" experiences.
Ron

el
01-22-2004, 06:28 AM
I didn't have the nail problem while on Taxol, but did have it with taxotere (same family). My nails turned brown and were very soft and pulling away from the nail beds (all fingers and some toes). Once I stopped the drug, the nails grew back and are now normal (it's been a year of growth). Had I kept on taxotere, I would have lost all of my fingernails( yup, ANOTHER side effect).
el