PDA

View Full Version : Her2 lungs Taxotere not wrking

Gail Townsend
01-19-2004, 01:57 AM
Breast Cancer 5 yrs. ago. Came back in Sept. 2003 in lungs, been on taxotere and herceptin for 12 weeks, lungs filling up with fluid and Dr. changed to navelbine and herceptin last week. I am looking for some feed back on anyone who has been switched from tax. to nav. Thanks for answers and support. Gail

pam
01-19-2004, 02:43 AM
Gail - I have bone mets. I was on taxotere/herceptin for 6 months last year. During that time my lungs filled with fluid. I have pleural effusion in both lungs and had to have them drained 4 times. The problem has resolved now; they didn't find cancer cells in the fluid, and I guess it was all caused from the taxotere. Maybe the fluid in your lungs is a result of the taxotere and not the cancer? I understand it's a common result of taxotere. I have just started navelbine/herceptin too. I just had my 2nd dose today. Last week I had muscle/bone pains, and stomach cramps, but no nausea. How are you feeling on the navelbine?

kim
01-19-2004, 06:07 AM
mom had bc in 99.had masectomy. no chemo or radtn. took tamoxifin until sept of '03. found lump in groin in aug of 03. dr said just to watch it. not cancer. had horrible headache/nausea in sept of 03. found brain mets. had whole brain radition. then did scnas. found cancer lump in groin, and under arm. started on taxotere. could see no change in groin. had checkup scnas after about 8 weeks - new spots on liver, nothng else chnaged. started 4 weeks ago on navelbine/gemzar. very tired on 3rd day after treatments but otherwise ok. mom says she can feel the lump in the groin getting smaller. no longer hurts either.

SueF2
01-19-2004, 08:44 AM
I became short of breath (hard to walk up a flight of stairs) before I started Herceptin/Navelbine/Zometa a couple of weeks ago. (Bone and liver mets) Also, pleural effusion. Had one side drained a week and a half ago. Now I feel like it has all come back. Is this the usual? How does one get rid of it once and for all - or is that not possible? Am more tired from this regimen than I was from AC and Taxotere a year ago.

Sue

eleanor
01-19-2004, 11:33 PM
one of the side effects of taxotere is fluid building up in lungs. This can be a very serious complication. (do a search and you'll find lots of posts on this).
Herceptin has also been associated with fluid build up.
El

Gail
01-21-2004, 11:45 PM
Pam, I have only had one does of Nav. Today I have to have my lung drained again, they have found cancer cells in the fluid, but tomorrow I will have my second treatment of Nav. and Herc. I must say I have been extremely tired and fatigued. Thanks for your input. Good Luck Gail

Hope
01-22-2004, 07:50 AM
Hi,I also was switched from Taxol, Herceptin, then added Carboplatin for lung mets because this chemo combo was not working to now Navelbine and Herceptin. I have been on this new combo since November. My scans last week showed no new tumor growth but no shrinkage either. I will continue on this regimen for now. I do get very fatigued and some headaches, but no other major side effects. I have never had fluid in my lung and I pray to God I don't. I hope this helps.