PDA

View Full Version : Brain mets info for us with brain mets...

patty z
01-22-2004, 01:50 PM
I have had brain mets since dx in Sept '02, 14 months ago.

Since then, I have had three Stereotactic Radiosurgeries treating a total of ten tumors. I have consistently refused Whole Brain Radiation.

My last SRS procedure was done on Dec. 22, treating four of my eight current tumors. The remaining four are each nearing the 1cm mark in size.

My med onc is in the process of getting me a referral for the CyberKnife procedure. We are lucky to have this available here, one in a multi midwest state area. It is similar to the SRS or GK but has NO SCREWED ON headframe. Which is the worst of these procedures in my experience.

If I can not get this done, my next step is to try Xeloda. I am currently on Temodar. Have finished just two cycles so don't know to what effect yet.

Here is what I have found on Xeloda for brain mets:

Vol. 1, 1139-1145, October 2002 Molecular Cancer Therapeutics
© 2002 American Association for Cancer Research

A recent study reported the effective use of Capecitabine (Xeloda) for brain metastases originating from breast cancer (7). The partial response (shown by decreased lesion size and improved mental performance) was particularly noteworthy because previous hormonal treatment, whole brain irradiation, and systemic chemotherapy, including treatment with 5-FU, proved ineffective. In addition to providing a potentially effective treatment for brain metastases, this study demonstrated that: (a) tumor resistance to 5-FU does not preclude effective treatment with Capecitabine; and (B) Capecitabine can reach therapeutic concentrations in brain tumor tissues.

This was not a trial, but a study. Not a LOT of info out there about it. But, under the circumstances, I am more than willing to give it a try. My med onc is with me on this, warning that I may not see any response, but willing to give it a shot too.

In my opionion, I would do ANYTHING to avoid the WBRT. With subsequent side effects and eternity on Decadron, the drug from hell.

hugs,
pattyz

Tom in Michigan
01-23-2004, 03:22 AM
Hi Patty

My Wife, Karen, has completed 20 X 200 Rad WBR treatments 12/23 and Gamma Knife 1/8 for two brain Mets ~ 2CM each. My research does not indicate that she will be on steroids for a long time - we will see. On the positive side WBR opens the Brain Blood Barrier which may allow Herceptin and other Drugs to enter the brain. Our next check is an early March MRI.

I have investigated work with the Brain Blood Barrier. The Cleavland Clinic and Ohio State University have BBBD (Brain Blood Barrier Disruption programs which looks to be quite promising. Here is CC site URL:
http://www.clevelandclinic.org/neuroscience/treat/brain/treatments/bbbd.htm.

I would also ask you (and all others interested) to look at my posting of 12/21 regarding 'Herceptin past the Brain Blood Barrier' and send requests to Genentech to encourage their research into this area.

Thank you and keep the faith that we will beat this demon.

Tom

Anonymous
01-23-2004, 07:46 AM
HI,
I was on temadar and xeloda when initially diagnosed last year with brain mets. Unfortunately, the combo was not a success for me. I went ahead and had the wbr and have many problems since with not alot of results...continue to have tumors. Looking to see what the next step will be. I'm going to ask about the cyber knife...is that a big procedure?
thanks,
Julie