PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin Vs. Heart Problems?

Angela
01-22-2004, 10:45 AM
What about the heart problems that Herceptin can cause? I'm only 39 with lots of heart problems in my family. I have already seen a cardiologist for heart palpatations and a valve that leaks just a little. My onc. said the cancer was not in my lymph nodes so I didn't qualify for Herceptin and that it was too much of a risk. I was wondering how others feels about the risk?

christine
01-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Angela,
Most heart problems caused by Herceptin are reversable after treatment ceases. You may want your onc to research this.

Hugs
Christine

Sheila
01-22-2004, 12:07 PM
I think the biggest risk with Herceptin causing heart problems is when it is combined with Adriamycin or A/C Chemo and sometimes Taxol. I have a heart murmur due to a leaky valve (Mitral Valve Prolapse) and they had no problems putting me on Herceptin. I have had 5 treatments with no problems so far. Affects on the heart are reversable after the medication is discontinued. As with any medication, there is always a risk or adverse reactions, but the benefit may outweigh the risk. Ask all the questions you can... Good Luck
Sheila

Anonymous
01-22-2004, 02:22 PM
Angela, since you have not yet received herceptin, you might want to check into other clinical trials for her+ cancers and be eligible for it. I believe there is some going on now, but that's all I know... I don't know the specific medication, criteria, etc. Good luck! Hugs

janelle
01-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Angela,
I've had no bad reactions with Herceptin and am monitored with a MUGGA Scan to make sure that my heart is performing at the proper levels. I think the risk is minimal. Especially since the effects on the heart disappear when you suspend treatment.

Hope
01-23-2004, 10:07 AM
I also was scared when I started Herceptin. I had a lot of heart palpitations. But after an echo test, the cardiologist found that I also have mitral valve prolapse. However, he did not see that as a reason for me to stop Herceptin. He is just monitoring me very closely. My heart palpitations have disappeared on their own.