PDA

View Full Version : HER2... can diet change HER2 environ & likelihood recurrenc

Jeannette
01-14-2004, 05:29 AM
I am a Dane who has just discovered your site/support group and hope to solicit your help.

I have had a mastechtomy of my right breast and have 4/21 lymph nodes affected. I have been diagnosed HER2,2+. A fish-test is currently being done to determine whether my cancer is predominantly +1 or +3. Depending on the results I will possibly be offered participation in a trial re. prevantative use of herceptin.

In any case, with HER2, I have a predisposition for recurrence. I have used diet strategically to combat many things and am now a vegan. I can't help wondering, is there "only" medication, or can we influence things ourselves, i.e. have you come across anything that indicates one can influence the activity level of the HER2 receptors, the environmentent the her2-based cancer needs etc. I see many opinions online but little solid guidance.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Warm wishes

Jeannette

Lolly
01-14-2004, 07:56 AM
Jeannette,
As you can see by reading some of the earlier posts, there is some controversy regarding diet/alternative therapy vs conventional treatment. I try to use the best of both worlds, as I'm now stage 4, and just try to make sure that any supplements and dietary additions have solid science behind the claims.
I don't know of any alternative therapy that is specifically targeted to the overexpression of Her2 receptor sites, but there is some evidence that when Herceptin "locks on" to those receptor sites on a cancer cell, it changes the structure of the cell's surface enough that the immune system can then recognize the cell as foreign and attacks it, contributing to the cells death. It therefore makes sense to me, and my oncologist agrees, that it's important to keep the immne system strong while receiving Herceptin. I hope this helps answer some of your questions, and if you are indeed eligible for a trial involving Herceptin and choose to enroll, I know we would all be extremely interested in following your progress. Keep us posted!
Hugs,
Lolly

SueF2
01-14-2004, 11:27 AM
Can you give me/us some ideas as to how to keep the immune system strong during Herceptin? I get my second dose on Friday.

Thanx so much.

Sue

Lolly
01-14-2004, 02:37 PM
Sue,
I eat a well balanced diet with with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, good quality protein, minimal fats and sugars, and take a multivitamin plus some supplements. Exercise is also good for helping strengthen the immune system, along with lots of rest. I guess I can't recommend a magic bullet, but just try to eat well! Good luck with your treatment on Friday, I pray you have good results with the Navelbine/Herceptin combo.
Hugs,
Lolly

Leslie
01-14-2004, 04:52 PM
Sue,

One thing I am doing to try to keep my immune system strong is to eat BroccoSprouts. These are broccoli sprouts that were developed by John's Hopkins University School of Medicine. Here is the link to their web site that tells about the benefits. They supposedly have much stronger antioxidents than regular grocery store sprouts. They taste slightly spicy like a radish. I just eat mine plain, but they would be fine in salads or on sandwiches. Since these were developed by a major University, I feel there may be some real merit in eating them. Currently I am not on any chemo or Herceptin. Sometimes when you are actively in treatment it is not advised to try to bolster your immune system, as you want the cancer cells to be as vulnerable as possible. Check with your oncologist. Hope this link works for you. www.broccosprouts.com/default.asp

Jackie
01-15-2004, 12:30 PM
Hi Jeanette,
My bone mets was dx Dec 2002, 2 yrs after original dx. I am Her2+, +3, ER+. After talking with a close friend who is a registered nurse, I visited the Kushi Institute in Massachusetts last year. It's a non profit organization run by Michio Kushi, who has been an advocate of the macrobiotic diet and lifestyle for over 30 yrs. If you are a vegan, perhaps you have heard of him, as he travels and lectures internationally. He has spoken in front of the US Congress as well as the Nat'l Cancer Institute about the role of diet in the prevention of breast cancer. The macrobiotic diet is basically whole grains, fresh organic vegetables & fruits,a little chicken and fish, no dairy products, no refined or processed foods, no sugars. The Institute is in the process of receiving a grant under the alternative therapy arm of the National Institute of Health for additional research. There have been remarkable cases of cancer remission experienced by people who adopt the diet & lifestyle, and I personally met and talked with a couple of those people during my visit to the Institute. Very inspiring! I tried the diet but found it too difficult to adhere to in work and social environments. As with any major change, I should have transitioned onto it as recommended instead of trying to make an immediate drastic change to my lifestyle. I plan to move back to a healthier diet because I truly believe in the benefits that can be attained, just as I believe that the standard American diet is a leading factor in the development of breast cancer to begin with. The Institute's website for more information is: www.kushiinstitute.org
Hope this information is of interest to you, and I wish you the best of luck!
Jackie

chere
01-23-2004, 12:55 PM
lots of fruits and veggies and my counts stayed really strong as my boyfriend was juicing and serving me some of his blends primarily spinich and carrots. i also felt more energy.

kashi cereal was recommended...as well as cream of wheat and oatmeal. i cut back on salts and sugar. 2 year ned in march.

love and blessings,
chere