PDA

View Full Version : To Eleanor-taxotere side effects

Linda in MI.
01-26-2004, 10:45 AM
Hi,

Since you labeled yourself as the "poster child" of side effects I have yet another question for you. As you know, my ct. scan last week was clean....but I'm still coughing and having a lot of shortness of breath. I do not have pleural effusion or congestive heart failure, or pnemonia. I have only been on steroids the day before the chemo, my last dose being a week ago (20 mg. then 10 more mg. the day of chemo). I know the steroids can make you retain fluid/shortness of breath, etc. as well as the taxotere. I have read that it takes about 6 weeks for the chemo to clear the body.

My questions for you: How long can the shortness of breath/coughing/swelling last? Can it last the full 6 weeks? I'm going to ask about an inhaler, maybe that would help--I have wheezing when I exhale that you can hear yet my onc told me she cannot hear it with the stethoscope. I spoke to a mom at my daughter's school who is a nurse and she said maybe I have a viral bronchitis. Perhaps this could be part of the cause along with the side effects.

Sorry for all the questions but this shortness of breath sure does interfere with life!! I get short of breath just doing everyday activities. I'm thrilled to be NED but I want to be able to breathe normally!!

THanks for your help.

Blessings and Hugs,

Linda in MI.

eleanor
01-28-2004, 12:18 AM
Hi Linda,
sorry for the delay. My kids have had the computer tied up because of homework and projects (can you believe it??? how rude!!!)
Anyway, it sounds more like a bronchial thing than anything else. With all my lung problems I have not experienced any coughing or wheezing. My problems were caused by radiation and chemo so I have both internal and external damage. Even though some shortness of breath is normal while on chemo, the way you're describing it is not. If you are having trouble funtioning normally, there is something more serious going on.
See your primary dr to rule out bronchitis. Sometimes the oncs suffer from tunnel vision.
Hope this helped.
el