PDA

View Full Version : Results of patients on Herceptin trial for early stage

Terry
01-24-2004, 03:17 AM
Hello to all. I'm wondering how many of you are on the Herceptin trial (1 year of Herceptin following chemotherapy) for early stage breast cancer.

No recurrence while on the trial?
Have you completed the trial?
How long since you've completed the trial?

I didn't see any information on this from the San Antonio Conference this year.

PaulaC
01-24-2004, 08:15 AM
I'll be very interested in reading the replies to this post. I was diagnosed in July '02, mastectomy in August, completed chemo in Feb. '03 (4 A/C, 4 Taxotere), one year of Herceptin in a clinical trial completed in December. Stage 2B. So far, so good.

Trudy
01-24-2004, 09:39 AM
Hello,

I have also been very interested in hearing from
ladies who have been in this trial.
I was diagnosed in August, 2001, received
A/C, Taxol and finished one year of Herceptin
in March, 2003.
Stage IIIA, so far so good. No problems,
taking Femara.

Dolores
01-24-2004, 09:56 AM
I was dx in May 2001. I had 5 of 10 nodes positive and was told I was stage IIB. I had a masectomy and a tram a year later.

In June of 01 I received 4 rounds of ac/cytoxin then 4 rounds of taxol, the last taxol was with herceptin. I had 30 doses of radiation, while on once a week herceptin.

I receivied Herceptin once a week for a year and then once every 3 weeks for 9 months.

No mets to organs or bones.

So far so good and take one day at a time.

If I can answer any questions or be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Hugs

Dolores

Angela
01-24-2004, 10:45 AM
I too will be very interested in reading the replies to this post. I was diagnosed in May '03, mastectomy in June, completed chemo in Oct. '03 (4 A/C), Stage 2A (no nodes), now on Femara. I wondered if I should look at getting into a Herceptin trial but my doctor was sure. He said to let him think about it and we would discuss it at my next appointment.

Hugs and Smiles,
Angela

Lauren
01-24-2004, 12:42 PM
I too am very interested in these results... I was dx in dec of 02 at stage 2a (1.5 cm tumor, 1+ node)... I had 4 AC then 4 Taxotere w/ herceptin and continuing herceptin for 1 year.

I'm also getting Lupron/Arimidex as I am ER/PR+ too.

All is well with me.
:)

Love and hugs,
Lauren

Alice/Vienna, Austria#
01-24-2004, 06:31 PM
Hi!
Dx 08/2003 - mastectomy
We don´t use "stages" in Austria as we go by the TNM status. But I can tell you what it was:
Tumor >8cm (3.2in.), 12/20 nodes pos., ER-, PR~50%pos., HER2neu+++ - what stage would that be.
Got 6rds. of Epirubicin/Taxotere, 36rds. of rads (thoracic wall+supraclaviculare lymphnodes)
Tamoxifen, did try Zoladex for 6months but just couldn´t continue...

Since March 03 I receive Herceptin every 3 weeks out of HERA trial.
Never had any probs with it until December - starting with dizziness (sp?) - until really bad end of Dec. - ended up with CT of the brain which turned out to be ok, thank god.
Got better again until next herceptin hit me really bad - like chemo last year, so dizzy and headache I had to throw up...

Getting medication for that now - seems to be a histamin-related problem.

Waiting for big check-up in March but sofar doing fine - no mets we know of!
Thinking of a mammogram that was perfectly ok 1.5 yrs. BEFORE Dx it feels good that such a fast growing sucker hasn´t come back yet 1.5 yrs. AFTER Dx.

Will continue Herceptin until March 2005 and hope I will be saying still: NED ist my best friend!

greetings from the other end of the earth!
Alice

Alice/Vienna, Austria
01-24-2004, 06:36 PM
Forgot to say:
I was 31 at dx, 33 now.
No history of bc in family I knew of - until I started research - father´s family had a few younger ones...
My mum got dx´ed 5 months after I was.
She had breast conserving surgery, rads. Her Tumor was ER/PR++ PLUS Her2neu+++

So we both have the rare occasion of being homone AND Her2 positive.... makes me think...
the genes?

TC
Alice

Beth
01-25-2004, 08:24 AM
I was diagnosed in July,2001 with Stage 11B. I had 4 a/c 12 weekly taxol with herceptin and 40 more weekly herceptin. So far so good. I am praying that herceptin is the cure.

Beth

eric
01-25-2004, 10:29 AM
Beth...12 weekly taxol? Stage 2b? If yes, any idea why the 12 weekly vs what seems to be the standard of 4 (every 3 weeks)?

eric
01-26-2004, 01:23 AM
Hi Trudy,

I take it that you were er+ as well as her2+?
Also, how often did you take the herceptin?

Keep doing great...Eric

Mary
01-26-2004, 02:38 AM
I was diagnosed 7/01, stage II, mastectomy, 1 pos. node. Did a/c x 4, taxol & herceptin x 4, and herceptin weekly for one year (clinical trial). 2.6 years NED and like everyone else, I'm praying I stay this way! I read somewhere that they were expecting prelimary results from the one of the major trials soon. I hope the news is good! Good luck, Mary

Janet, UK
01-26-2004, 02:50 AM
Diagnosed May 2003. Aged 38. IDC, 1.5cm, Grade 3, node negative, ER/PR neg, her/2 3+. Lumpectomy, 6xFEC, 33rads. HERA trial in UK - randomsied to receive herceptin for two years (once every three weeks). Second infusion this week. It's fantastic to hear from you and that you are all doing so well. I have found nothing in the press about the preliminary results of herceptin trials for early stage BC. Maybe it's too early for the drug companies to print anything, but the results on this page look pretty encouraging to me.

Trudy
01-26-2004, 07:01 AM
Yes, I am Er+ and strongly Her2neu+.
I received Herceptin weekly x 52

Beth
01-26-2004, 08:41 AM
Eric,
I was in a herceptin trial. That is what the arm that I was in was for. The weekly was a lot easier from what I have heard.
Take care.

Beth

Lolly
01-26-2004, 10:51 AM
Hi All,
I'm not in any of the trials, but I sure love reading the posts from all over the world! To be able to follow your progress is incredibly encouraging and gives those of us with more advanced disease a lot of hope. So thank you for being courageous enough to go for a trial, and for keeping us informed of your progress!
Hugs,
Lolly

Terry
01-26-2004, 11:21 AM
I am so encouraged by these postings and everyone's positive response to the Herceptin! Thank you.

And I suppose it would be helpful to also provide my history:
diagnosed October 2002
2.2 CM, ER/PR+, HER2+++
lumpectomy in November 2002
4 A/C, 12 weekly taxol, 34 radiation with
weekly Herceptin x 52 -- (treatment #30 of Herceptin this week)

I am doing very well so far. Have been feeling kinda tired, achey, and very short of breath lately. So, just a little nervous and thought it would help to talk with others. It has!

Kym
01-26-2004, 10:34 PM
Hi Terry,
I am on the BCIRG 006 trial for herceptin in early bc and drew the AC - Taxotere Herceptin arm.
Surgery was dec 2002 and I ccommenced chemo last Jan. Once the four rounds of AC and 4 of taxotere were complete I began herceptin alone which continues till next April (a total of one year)
I also had 30 rads (had lumpectomy) and am doing fine so far,
Hugs

Kym
Kym

Kym
01-26-2004, 10:38 PM
Dearest Lolly,
you are such an inspiration and make me feel so very humble.
It was pioneers like you who paved the way for us with early BC and for that I will always be eternally grateful,
Hugs and Love,
Kym

Cindi
01-26-2004, 11:33 PM
Dx April 2002 at Age 41, Stage IIA, 1 node pos, ER/PR-, Her3+++. Rec'd 4 AC/ 12 weekly Taxol, 40 rads and then 52 weeks of Herceptin. Feeling good and praying that Herceptin made a difference!

Shannon
01-29-2004, 02:07 AM
Dx'd December '02, Stage 2b, 2.5 cm, lumpectomy, clear margins, 1 sentinel node pos (2mm spot), Grade 3, Her2+++, entered herceptin clinical trial and received A/C x 4, Taxotere/Herceptin x 4, then continued on with Herceptin only for only one more time because I had two low EVF levels (Mugas) in a row and they yanked me off the trial this past November. I am only 43 and should not be having heart problems, but they didn't want to take any chances. So, I am hoping and praying the 5 doses I got were enough. That's what I hold on to. Am flying without a net now. But, so far SO GOOD.

xoxo,
Shannon