PDA

View Full Version : decadron

kim
01-05-2004, 01:08 AM
my mom has metatsic bc - in brain liver. startted taking navelbine and gemazr last week. also takes femara. had wbr on the brain. dr has her on decadron still -- since sept of '03 - to control symtns on brain tumro. thinks tumors r dead but brain stll swells cuz of dead tissue n brain, anyone elze taking decadron daily after wbr to control sweling symptons?

KeithB
01-05-2004, 04:04 AM
My Mom has been on Decadron since Feb. 2003 for swelling as a result of brain mets. She had WBR then gamma knife. There is still some swelling and adema present so she is still on decadron. We have tried to bring her off it but no luck so far. The decadron can have long term effects as well. Have the docs done another MRI to see how much fluid is still present?

Jan Solomon
07-31-2004, 08:20 PM
Has anyone not taken decadron with taxol?

Elisabeth
07-31-2004, 08:57 PM
I have taken decadron with taxotere which is the same family as taxol. I took it the night before treatment, received it with treatment and took it again on night of treatment. Its purpose is to help prevent fluid build up and it can also aide in the fight against nausea, though the taxanes are not noted for nausea/vomiting issues. You may encounter sleeping challenges, it can give you a bit of a buzz, so you may want something to help you sleep.
Blessings, Elisabeth

al
08-01-2004, 10:29 AM
I have looked so many times I can't count however, I read an article, about a controlled study, that Decadron decreases the efficacy of Chemo, particulartily AC. I read this months ago and for the life of me, I can't find the article. (anyone help?????) Decadron will induce diabetes, cause sugar spikes, all the things not good for cancer patients.

Anonymous
08-01-2004, 12:04 PM
I remain anonymous because I think someone may be reading these posts in my oncology. I have Herceptin, Taxol and Carbo. and I take only 1 pill out of 5. It is given to me in a cup and I take one and put the rest in my pocket (I make sure I have pockets in my shirt) and when I have to go to the bathroom they are gone. I have not had any problems doing this. I figure I will take my chances rather then not being able to sleep for 3 days and all the side effects that go along with them. With sleeping pills I end up with a hang over. Its my choice and I figure if I have not had a reaction during the treatment then I am not going to worry about it. I may suffer the consequences some day. That is my choice and I don't recommend it for others.

AlaskaAngel
08-02-2004, 02:41 AM
What I resent is that decadron is not openly presented to us as a choice when we do chemo. I think given the total picture of what decadron generally does to women (weight gain/depression, and all the rest) that it should be DISCUSSED as a choice. But it never is. We have to someone run across the question somewhere to even know enough to ask the question of the oncs. So why aren't THEY open with us???? Like Al I too have read an article elsewhere that it reduces the effectiveness of chemo, which might translate to giving us higher doses of chemo as well as the other complications Al mentioned.

Lyn
08-02-2004, 05:39 PM
Hi, I take the decadron (dexamethesone) in the drip only. I started on Taxol before the nurses had a chance to give me the premeds for the day before, so I figured I didn't need them anyway. I had it with AC and CMF and Taxotere, and I blew up like a pumpkin, I couldn't satisfy my appetite and I ended up having sleeping tablets, so I was reluctant to take more than I needed. I took the anti-nausea drug trapisitron, it is the preferred drug for me, maxalon gives me the creaps. So at first dose I took trapisitron the next day and not the steroid and next chemo didn't need nausea drug either, I keep telling them I don't need them but they keep giving me drugs to take home so I keep them, you never know when someone is going to get food poisioning, as for the steroid I will give them back when I fill the bottle.

I keep a list of what I take with my pills and potions.

Love & Hugs Lyn