PDA

View Full Version : Spinal tap

Annemarie
09-23-2004, 02:53 AM
Have any the pts. on the board had to go for a spinal tap? It was recommended by my neurosurgeon to get checked out because I had another brain met tiny right in the area. I am having a mental breakdown and it not about the brain met. As this board has indicated that is very manageable with survalence.

pattyd
09-23-2004, 11:46 PM
I had one last spring cuz I was having some problem with my brain mets and my onc wanted to see of cancer cells had migrated into the spinal fluid (which they can do) Fortunately it was negative- The procedure took about a half hour- slipped a small needle in between the lower spinal discs to withdraw a small amount of fluid. I had to them lie flat on my back for about 3 hours-otherwise you risk getting qa really bad headache. I found that hard especially since I had an IV in which caused me to have to use the bedpan frequently! I did ok though- it was not too bad- felt fine the next day. Good luck. Patty

Annemarie
09-24-2004, 04:12 AM
I have convince myself that I have cancer cells in my spinal fluid. I have been treated for bc with mets to the brain only. The latest single met is 5mm but it rest on the part of the brain that is contected to your spine. The Dr. said it would be impossible for me to have any symptoms from this tiny met and there is no edema. I had headaches,nausea and my gait was a bit off. So I am convinced and scared out of my mind.