PDA

View Full Version : Tamoxifen & Her2

Beth
09-25-2004, 12:40 PM
Only thing is that there have been a few studies that show that some Her2+ patients do not resond well to tamoxifen. I researched that myself and had to "correct" my doctor on that recently so make sure you check into it -- it seems to be a finer point that some docs don't know about. I take Arimidex.

AlaskaAngel
09-26-2004, 04:50 AM
I chose to dump out of tamoxifen for that reason.

It seems to me that once anyone has tested HER2/neu +++ they should ask if there is a way to be tested for AIB1 before being prescribed tamoxifen.

It isn't like this is "news" to the field of oncology. From my readings it was a concern at least as far back as 1998, and enough was known about it by 2002 to start looking for AIB1 in patients who are strongly HER2 +++, to be able to distinguish which patients might be better off not being prescribed tamoxifen and instead started on perhaps an AI. So where is the hangup?

If I am smart enough to understand this, why wouldn't most oncologists understand it?

I was on tamoxifen for 1 3/4 years, presented the info to my pcp and had him ask my onc if I should change from tamoxifen to something else. I'm not pleased with the minimal answer I got. Basically the response was that unofficially current oncologic practice is to switch women off of tamoxifen after 2 years and over to Arimidex. No acknowledgement of any concern in regard to the possibility of AIB1.

Having cancer is only half the problem. The other half is being kept in the dark by the "healers".

*_Ginger_*
02-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Any news on this subject? I am going to switch from Tamox. to Arimidex.

*_Ginger_*
02-08-2005, 10:26 AM
Any news on this subject? I am going to switch from Tamox. to Arimidex.