PDA

View Full Version : To Arati--re best treatment for bone mets

Kaye
09-26-2004, 01:34 PM
Although I posted response to your question it was a few pages back so thought I'd repost up front --
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12040686&dopt=Citation

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12040686&dop=Citation

1: Gan To Kagaku Ryoho. 2002 May;29(5):785-9. Related Articles, Links
[A case of breast cancer with multiple bone metastases that responded remarkably to doxifluridine (5'-DFUR), cyclophosphamide (CPA), medroxyprogesterone acetate (MPA) and pamidronate disodium therapy]
[Article in Japanese]
Kusama M, Kaise H, Nakayama S, Ota D, Aoki T, Koyanagi Y, Misaka T, Matunaga T.
3rd Dept. of Surgery, Tokyo Medical University.
A 49-year-old female underwent bilateral breast preserving surgery for heterochronic breast cancers. She later developed a sternal metastasis and was recommended for intravenous chemotherapy. However, she refused such an intensive therapy and opted for immunotherapy. Afterward, she came to our hospital because of spinal metastases with back pain. She was treated with oral administration of 5'-DFUR and MPA 1,200 mg/day for 3 weeks, respectively, CPA 100 mg/day for 2 weeks, and pamidronate disodium 30 mg intravenously every 4 weeks. This combined chemotherapy relieved her pain after one course. After 5 courses, tumor markers were reduced to the normal range. After 14 courses, bone X-P revealed that the osteolytic bone showed sclerotic changes and bone scintigraphy showed a complete remission (CR). The adverse effects were not remarkable. This regimen is possible on an outpatient basis, and it may play an important role from the standpoint of treatment effectiveness and the quality of life of the patient.
Publication Types:
ò Case Reports
MeSH Terms:
ò Antineoplastic Combined Chemotherapy Protocols/therapeutic use*
ò Bone Neoplasms/drug therapy*
ò Bone Neoplasms/secondary*
ò Breast Neoplasms/drug therapy*
ò Breast Neoplasms/pathology*
ò Breast Neoplasms/surgery
ò Cyclophosphamide/administration & dosage
ò Diphosphonates/administration & dosage
ò Drug Administration Schedule
ò English Abstract
ò Female
ò Floxuridine/administration & dosage
ò Human
ò Medroxyprogesterone 17-Acetate/administration & dosage
ò Middle Aged
ò Quality of Life
Substances:
ò Antineoplastic Combined Chemotherapy Protocols
ò Diphosphonates
ò 5'-deoxy-5-fluorouridine
ò amidronate
ò Cyclophosphamide
ò Floxuridine
ò Medroxyprogesterone 17-Acetate
PMID: 12040686 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

KathySC
09-26-2004, 08:00 PM
Kaye,
I wanted to thank you for the research. At this point I am not metastatic (and hopefully will not be for a long time) but I feel better having this kind of information in my back pocket.
Kathy