PDA

View Full Version : Application of ice

AlaskaAngel
09-26-2004, 04:29 AM
Well, if the chemo isn't circulating as much because the blood isn't circulating as much in the cooled area of the body, then it makes some sense that it may not provide as much protection against micrometastases there.

I thought about icing too, but decided I definitely don't want to be repeating the chemo lifestyle if at all possible just because I would have used icing. To go through all of that experience and then not get the full benefit convinced me not to do it.

A.A.

lauren
09-26-2004, 04:41 AM
It doesn't work that way physiologically.

AlaskaAngel
09-26-2004, 04:51 AM
I'm glad to hear it, but can you spell that out more for me, Lauren?

lauren
09-26-2004, 11:32 AM
sorry, alaska, i was rushing off somewhere and didn't have time to write a more full explanation. my undersanding is that TOPICALLY applied ice does not in any way effect the CIRCULATION of chemo throughout the body part that is being iced. In the case of HAIR FOLLICLES the ice does something directly to the hair follicle itself, not to the circulation of chemo throughout the body. In the case of mouth sores, same deal. It is purely topical, and at Columbia Presbyterian, they provide you with the ice for your mouth when you take AC without you even asking for it. It is standard of care.

Anything more technical, I would not be able to tell you, but I never, not for one second, ever thought that I might be interfering with the chemo working by using ice on my eye lashes or mouth.

lauren

AlaskaAngel
09-27-2004, 03:11 AM
Thanks Lauren. Hair is dead stuff wherever it pokes out of us so that wouldn't concern me either - but Sandy is talking about submerging her hands or feet in ice for limiting the neuropathy and so I think that might be more of an issue in terms of circulation....

A.A.

lauren
09-27-2004, 05:57 AM
Hmmmm....I see where you're going. I kinda got stuck on the hair and mouth sores thing. But now, how do you think the mouth sores thing is different from submerging the hands and feet? I am not saying it is or it isn't...I am just wondering? And all of this being said, my feeling is that if your intuition tells you not to go ahead and do something like that, then I would think you ought to listen. And THAT being said, sometimes our intuition is wrong, allowing us to do things because of vanity or ego or other stuff that blinds us to the reality of the situation. So, bottom line, I have no idea what to tell Sandy...it is a tough one. Neuropathy is a terrible thing to deal with, but if the ice treatment would allow mets to live, then...well...not so good, right?

AlaskaAngel
09-27-2004, 08:30 AM
I'm no chemist but that is why I think there are enough variables involved that I question using it. For example, if the chemo involved works best at body temperature, or if it has a tendency to crystallize and/or clump to tissue at cooler temps that too might add to tissue damage or toxicity. (But what do I know... It could work even better on human popsicles...)

A.A.

lauren
09-27-2004, 11:11 AM
lol...i think we've talked this one into absolute circles!!! i pray i never have to make the choice to risk neuropathy or to give myself frostbite. what a hobson's choice.