PDA

View Full Version : I have multiple brain mets

Ali b
09-28-2004, 08:38 PM
I was dx in 2000 with 3cm grade 3,one node,did adria then 4 CMF,rads to breast.Never ending surgery to recons as partial went wrong.
I was 90% er pos,I took tamox for 3 mths but it made me totally bonkers and they took me off,never offered me anything else.
3 months later I had terrible pain both sides of pelvis,docs put me on Livial a form of HRT,the pain improved.
Last Oct after doing my mammoth swim from Holy Isle to arran in Scotland I was dx with one 3cm bone met in pelvis,but my pain was mostly on other side.It seemed to flare badly when I was taken off HRT.
I was told my "aggressive" cancer was not behaving aggressively,I was put on Femara and took Cipralex an antideppressant with this and avoided the gloom experienced on tamox.
But the pain on other side continued tho lessened from acute on Femara.
I fought to get Aredia,but after one dose came off as I got acute anterior uvietis of my eye[rare adverse event]
New onc[who is hateful little man]did CT with gastrografin and contrast,showed 3.5 cm mass on other side,just below left ovary[just where I get pain,bone met on other side ok]he did MRI,nothing.Repeated after 3 months,still on CT but not MRI.
I asked for PET scan[onc annoyed]PET scan in Aug showed nothing in pelvis but lesion on lung,1cm.Onc told me not to have scans if I couldn't hack results.
A few weeks ago I went to see my rad onc[who is nice unlike med onc]I mentioned as afterthought I had constant glimmering light in right eye.
He ordered brain scan.
In meantime I went to optician who referred me to Opthamology,they said maybe vitreous at back of eye puliing on retina.
I went to brain scan alone sure I was wasting time.
My God they told me I had many scattered brain mets.
How can this be?
They are retesting my HER2 as it was done in v small lab[I had to pay for original test to be done]
I am starting WBR 7th Oct,then chemo it seems.
Asked about Gamma Knife but they said too much brain damage would occur in my case.
What are side effects of WBR?
They said the could not get rid of tumours just shrink,why?My bone met never came back.
Did they underestimate my cancer?
My GP is letting me keep my driving licence,will I lose it for def later?
Last weekend I did my swim again,all my family and friends came.
Can anyone give me realistic hope?
love Ali xxxxxxx

Lolly
09-29-2004, 06:50 AM
Dear Ali,
I think a lot depends on how large the mets are, for one thing, and I don't think it's true that they will only shrink, not dissapear. Several brain mets survivors who post here regularly have reported No Evidence of Disease, after either WBR or RadioSurgery or a combination of both. Christine, the founder of this site, is one. I am sure some of these survivors will post as soon as they're seen your SOS, so don't despair, hope is here.
Unfortunately, brain mets can be sneaky, and more than one of our group has posted the news of brain mets findings after no symptoms at all. Thank god you've caught them before they've gotten any worse.
BTW, my sister-in-law had 4 brain tumors treated, 2 years ago, with a combination of WBR and chemo, and is NED today. One of these tumors was the size of an egg. Her case was not breast cancer mets, but Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, but still I offer this testamonial as hope.

Stay Strong.
Love, Lolly

Rozebud
09-29-2004, 09:06 AM
Ali - Don't know the answer to your questions,but wanted to let you know I'll be praying for you....

dee
09-30-2004, 12:35 PM
I am so sorry you are going through this! I totally relate. As a swimmer, myself, who derives a lot of comfort from swimming a mile @ a time to get my mind off it, I can empathize with you while your face is in the water. Don't stop that as long as you can. I am sending a virtual hug that is attached to a prayer - and the hope that GOOD news will come your way soon. Hang in there!