PDA

View Full Version : These are possibles - not the tests now used

Steph N
10-02-2004, 04:19 AM
Lyn quoted this research:
""In this group we saw the strongest prognostic power of mammaglobin levels. This is something that we didn't expect at all, since mammaglobin in the blood is a marker of metastases and therefore classically of poor prognosis. What our results mean is that low-level expression tumours are the bad ones ... because you'll miss the metastases altogether," explained Dr. Span.
"Mammaglobin expression probably has something to do with oestrogen," concluded Dr. Span, "but we are not sure what."

As a patient with ER-/PR- tumor, I don't even know if the mammoglobin expression would tell anything about my pathology. But, it is interesting for the majority of BC that is at least ER+.
That site is of high interest to me, but is very complex as the papers concern research at the MOLECULAR/GENE levels and this takes some work to wade through for any relevance I can glean.
The author of the site (more of a compendium of papers) says there are over 100 breast cancer markers at the molecular level, including some new genetic work. I did not find much about the current tests used, only that some new BC cells lines (recently discovered in pleural effusia) also show CA-15 and CEA, which means they should be detected by currrent tests.
Thanks for pointing the way to a new source of research writeups. The site is out of Belgium.

Lyn
10-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Hi,I know what you mean, I haveprinted the index and abstracts, 18 pages and posted off to me Onc,he can't leave everything up to us but at least I have proven that I have been paranoid since 1998 when my marker CA-15 has always been under 30 and this last flare up before starting Her/Carbo which stabilised the lump in my neck which didn't get any bigger or smaller but marker was 6??? and since adding the Taxol the lump has got slowly smaller but I have been whinging about it since Feb 2003 all my tests kept coming back as normal until I demanded the MRI which picked it straight away, so marker went from 6 to 22 then 13 so still not stable, going for 26 rounds of this cocktail so 8 to go then another MRI and I am going to insist on the Head being done as well, I made sure I had markers done before each different chemo during and after so there is a record since 1998 of how my markers have gone through the different drug combos so maybe oneday they will sit down and see if there is a pattern, I could do it I suppose while I am spending my weekly Fridays hooked up, unorthadox I know but if it wasn't for this site and my insistance I woundn't be having this combo now as the head nurse tried to confince me it was too toxic and said I should have one or the other so that made my onc a bit nervous until I sent him the info we had on Her/Taxol/Carbo, only 2 other patients are on the Herceptin out of the hundreds tested over the last 3 years but every week I have gone since he has added Taxol/Carbo to a heap of patients so looks like we started a new trend here in Aussie so girls we are saving the rest of the world as well. We have to just keep digging for more info.

Love & Hugs Lyn