PDA

View Full Version : Chemo and Colds

Kristen
10-03-2004, 09:18 PM
Shannon, Anytime you are on chemo, is a bad time to get anything because your counts are low. Always check your temp, if it's over 101. call the doctor. You may call your onc, to see if they want to put you on antibiotics.
When my counts were low and I had to go out. I would wear a mask, no matter how silly I looked, take disposable wipes with you and keep your hands clean. If I was in a room where someone was coughing I left. Take Care. Hope you feel better. K
ps if allergies or sinus, my onc put me on clariton, it seemed to help a little

Shannon
10-04-2004, 04:20 AM
Hello Ladies.... I am currently on Taxol just had the 9th treatment of 12 and I have a cold now. Is this pretty common? My white blood cells and neutrafills were pretty low, but we went ahead with chemo anyways... could have been the bug begining.

I was off work for about 6 months and went back last week. I think maybe the busy enviroment and probably nasty icky door handles that I use to open the doors may have gotten me where I am today, full of snot and not feeling well.

Is is a bad thing to have a cold while on chemo? Should I call the doctor? Will this affect chemo this week.

celina
10-04-2004, 07:48 AM
Hi Shannon,
My sister is getting over a cold. She's currently on chemo for liver, bone (and brain )mets. Like Kristen said, she was told to go to hospital if she had fever and/or if her cold moved to her chest area. Hope this helps...hope it passes quickly!

Shannon
10-04-2004, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the tips ladies... I really appreciate it. Called the doctor today and he said if I got a tempature... go to emergency. Otherwise, any cold meds that helped would be good.

Thank you again! I really value this site for all my info!