PDA

View Full Version : Do you really need an ONC??? Why the discrepancy?

Kristen
10-04-2004, 11:08 AM
I will try and make this short. Got new onc today. Went to Michigan, didn't really know what trial I was on (made me a little nervous) didn't really know anyting about HER2, except that it was harder to kill? Said a Dr. Hayes at Michigan was involved in HER2, is he the dr. doing the new study for markers? (chemo brain,I know something is going on there) Said she would email him to see if he knew anything about trials that hadn't published reports yet.

When does your follow up begin? After chemo or Herceptin? Why does a breast surgeon want to see you every 3 months and do 2 mamms/year for the first 2 years and an onc wants one and one chest x-ray? I have had blood drawn every 3wks b/4 Herceptin, they are not planning on having me in except yearly. So my question is this: Why the hell do I need an ONC??? Only for cancer drugs, and I only have 2 more herceptin treatments.

All my outsourced doctors, ie: gastro wants colonoscopy yearly now because high risk (IBS, have had 2 already and could do with out them period), My neurologist remembers from school,BC, brain and bone mets, wants an MRI done every 6 months for the first 2 years than yearly. I would like to have a cbc, chem every 3-4 months and bone density yearly, will be done by my internist.
Everything is done more than once in the first 2 years, I think because they know if it rears its ugly head it would most likely happen then. So why do I keep getting these ONCs that don't do anything??? Though this one offered to, but I don't know that I trust her or the group in which she practices. She seemed sincere, but so did the last one. How did I get such a great husband, but can't pick an onc to save my life, litereally?

What is it with me and ONCs?? I am a good one for the HER2 book of what not to do:)

Are tumor markers for advanced BC or anyone? She told me today that she would start them, but felt they were not a good indicator, that I would probably have other symptoms before they would show up??? What I have read from you all is that they are an indicator for some and are only a guide. What is the best kind to request?
I know this sounds like a rant and in some ways it is but I really would like to know what follow up you have and the tumor markers question, do you think they are beneficial now after herceptin and haven't had them before or is it just for adv.BC? The show goes on... take care k

carlye
10-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Hi K,
I am sorry you are having such a hard time! I can't beleive the onco isn't knowlegible about HER-2. It's something that is studied so much now, that really surprises me. I just think it's important you find a doc, onco or otherwise that you trust and feel totally comfortable with. I would not stop until that happens. They are out there just be persistant and keep trying! Hang in there and please let me know if there is anything I can do. Would you like me to ask Mark if he recommends anyone in the KC area?

carlye
10-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Hi K,
I am sorry you are having such a hard time! I can't beleive the onco isn't knowlegible about HER-2. It's something that is studied so much now, that really surprises me. I just think it's important you find a doc, onco or otherwise that you trust and feel totally comfortable with. I would not stop until that happens. They are out there just be persistant and keep trying! Hang in there and please let me know if there is anything I can do. Would you like me to ask Mark if he recommends anyone in the KC area?

eleanor
10-04-2004, 10:11 PM
Hi Kristin,
I'm sorry, but I guess I'm confused by what you wrote. Are you dx with mets, or were you on a trial for herceptin pre-mets?
Find a dr who is familiar with her2 status, you will need the expertise down the road.
After my initial dx I went to the dr every 3 mos for bloodwork and check up. Once I had mets, then I saw the dr once a month with markers drawn every 2-3 mos. Currently on herceptin alone. See dr & have blood work/scans every 2 mos but it's been a year now so that may change.
Did I help???? I hope so,
hugs
e