PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin and urine

Annemarie
10-08-2004, 12:11 PM
I just began Herceptin about two weeks ago. When I urinate I smell a very strong odor. The oncology nurse says this is from Herceptin but I never heard anyone else mention this? Is it just in the beginning? It really is a very strong odor. The nurse said if I am not having any burning that I am fine. Any one else?

Lolly
10-08-2004, 01:43 PM
I thought it was just me! I didn't know it might be from the Herceptin, but I'll sure ask about it next week. I have very strong smelling urine, but if I make sure and drink water through the day, it's not as noticeable. I have so many other drugs in my system in addition to Herceptin I assumed it was just the cumulative effect causing the odor...

Love, Lolly

Christine
10-08-2004, 03:41 PM
I never noticed strong scented urine, except when I was given decadron which does raise your blood sugsr and that can make your urine smell funky with a very strong yellow color. Drinking about 4 glsses of water will remedy these problems and your kidneys will thank you too. Water keeps your organs running easier by relieving their stress from all toxins whether it be chemo or other enviromental pollutants.

Annemarie
10-09-2004, 01:04 AM
You are my expert once again. I was put on herceptin with decadron for the first run threw. Next time we are going to try to cut back the other meds.

Sandy H.
10-09-2004, 09:06 AM
I have very strong smelling urine and even after I was off treatment for 4 months it continued to be strong. With the chemicals I can understand why. Drinking lots of water helps but have not found anything that will stop the smell. There are times I can smell the chemicals on my skin. I also get a film in my mouth causing my food to taste all the same which is nearly no taste. I brush my teeth several times a day with baking soda but have found when I brush my tongue and roof of my mouth as well as the gums around my teeth it does help. I do this just before I eat. Hugs, Sandy

jeff
10-10-2004, 02:19 AM
Hi,

My partner Rachel has never had any strong smelling urine due to herceptin, but it seems she developed this recently when whe added alpha lipoic acid to her supplement regime...It is a listed effect of that! So, if you've begun taking any other vitamins, etc. it's possible this is where it's coming from.

Or asparagus, of course! Some people react very strongly in a smelly-urine way to it...

Best,
Jeff

lauren
10-10-2004, 04:29 AM
i did not experience this at all. BUT i did a lot of yoga and drank a TON of water, so the effect may have been minimized. all chemos, including herceptin, are toxic in a sense, so the more you drink, the better.