PDA

View Full Version : got any new allergies post-chemo?

jojo
10-11-2004, 01:48 AM
Just wondering if anyone has gotten new allergies after they were done with chemo...

I developed only a couple of new ones (which I had NEVER gotten before):

1) pain-killer narcotics (see below) --

morphine, vicodin
(found out at sentinel node surgery)

2) skin allergies (see below)--

plastic, band-aids, make-up, perfume

Really tired of telling I.V. nurses EVERY time: "Oh wait, please use paper tape, because I'm allergic to plastic."

Hoping that my case of allergies is only temporary!!!

Steph N
10-11-2004, 04:48 AM
Jojo -
Did you have your sentinal node biopsy AFTER first taking chemo to shrink the tumor?? Otherwise this would not qualify as "post-chemo."

Yes to the bandaids - gives me a skin burn in about 20 minutes that takes a week to heal. However, NOT on places like my feet.
I may have had this before as when I awoke in morning after having my lower axilla excised I felt a pain where I did not expect it. My surgeon looked in on me and I asked him if it was my drain getting infected. He checked the area and when he pulled off the bandaid around the tube insertion point there was a skin burn. He replaced it with paper tape. Maybe we are just getting bandaids put on places on our torse where we did not have them before to know that we were sensitive?

Sandy H.
10-11-2004, 09:48 AM
Guess, you can call me super sensitive now. Any kind of tape, paper, cloth or plastic and bandaids. I think it is the glue for me. The nurses know now to just tack it on so it doesn't fall off and then to take it off as soon as possible. Now, they use only the sensitive tape. Its not too bad. Hugs, Sandy

KathySC
10-11-2004, 10:29 AM
The band aids did a number on me including the monitor "buttons" they use with the muga scans. It took a year after chemo till my skin returned to normal. (If you call looking like you've aged 10 years in 1 year normal.)

The biggest issue was the chemo brain after taxol. It lasted up until 4 months ago when I started taking unrefined coconut oil for my thyroid. Now I can remember an entire phone number when someone rattles one off. It was a surprise because I wasn't looking for it to do that. If your thinking about trying some, you should read up on it at Dr. Mercola's web site or research it in general. My only concern would be if you have high cholesterol. It hasn't changed mine but you should monitor it if you do. Kathy

Lolly
10-11-2004, 01:40 PM
Yes to skin allergies, which I never had before...tape & bandaids. Some perfumes, and I think probably molds now, since everytime the weather turns damp for a few days I start having sinus trouble and sometimes headaches.

Hope
10-12-2004, 06:34 AM
Yes, I also have developed allergies to tape, band-aids and can only use paper tape.