PDA

View Full Version : ports, emla, cath-flow

Jackie
09-27-2004, 08:14 AM
I just noticed the messages about ports and wanted to add that Emla Cream can be used to numb the port site before accessing...you don't feel a thing. I also am a terrible stick and will not let anyone even try to find a vein any more (I'm needle phobic and about lose it after 2 or 3 pokes). My port intermittently will not draw back, and the nurse puts something called Cath-flow into the port. Within 45 min they get a blood return. It's expensive (what isn't?) but has been covered by my insurance.
Hope this might be helpful to someone!
Jackie

Patty H
09-28-2004, 03:45 AM
Thanks for the information about getting the port to draw again. I will write that dowm in-case this one ever quits. Patty H

Jackie
09-28-2004, 08:24 AM
Hope yours never quits on you, but developing a "fibron sheath" that interferes with drawback is very common. However, mine will drawback just fine from time to time on its own. Just nice that there's something to help if it doesn't!
Jackie

Steph N
09-28-2004, 03:00 PM
Hi Ladies -
Port functioning is so necessary to our continued treatment. Mine has been in for 4 years now. I did not have it withdrawn after completing first-line chemo and rads. I thought I would wait for one year of a clean bill of health cancerwise. I barely got six months out from chemo and had to start treatment again.
This way I was spared having to reinsert and risk infection, etc.
I had my port put in fairly low, so it would not stand out from my upper chest and be bothered by the seatbelt (however in my newer car it does hit that area). The nurses need to use a 1" needle for proper access, but it works like a charm. Once in a while I have a little difficulty and one time I had to come back 2 days later with TPA (the cath "Mr. Plummer") scheduled. I did not need it (TPA costs something like $1,000) as blood return was immediate.
Emla cream is not available here any longer - I have to use a form of lidocaine which works just fine, but is not covered by ins - it costs $10-11 per tube.

Pam P
09-29-2004, 12:56 AM
Hi -- I've had my port over 3 years & have had minimal problem. Only once have I had to have the "mr. plumber" to unclog it. It was pretty easy - they just injected it & waited 30 minutes, then it worked fine.

Then, just this week when I went for chemo the nurse wasn't able to get a return. After she tried a couple times & was saying we might have to use the "plumber", she said something funny & I started to laugh & immediately the blood started to flow. We decided the muscle contractions jogged things to help it get going. Who knows, but if it happens again, I'm goig to try laughing!

chere farr
10-23-2004, 10:30 PM
how long can we keep the bard port in? mine has been in for 3 years and infusions stopped early this year. my onc has ignored my request to have this removed.

if you have information regarding the length of time we can keep this port in without harm or who i can ask will you please email me?